Monday, October 30, 2006

Compression: gzip, zip, bzip2

Which compression tool is the best? Of course, there is no "best tool" -- there are different tools for different jobs. It won't matter for compression of trivial data which method you choose, but when you start handling gigabytes of data, it might be prudent to check some of the following links. This is just a sample of all the compression algorithms out there, of course, and is skewed towards ones used more often on Linux.

General info links (to Wikipedia):

  • Data compression
  • ZIP -- .zip extension, zip and unzip commands; analogous to tar and gzip; used more on Windows
  • Gzip -- .gz extension, gzip and gunzip commands
  • Bzip2 -- .bz2 extension
Comparison links:

1 comment:

Alex said...

My friends told me an his problem some days ago. As he told he had a lot of corrupted zip files and didn't know what. I couldn't help him there. This morning I have woke up. After that I entered in the Inet, I noticed there - how to recover corrupt zip file and suggested it my friend. Later he sent me a message with gratitude.